Saturday, May 15, 2010

TEN MINUTES

At a recent executive briefing at the place I work I reflected in the moment how power-packed one ten-minute period is so far as bringing people up to speed is. Even a slow start can be quickly recovered and much ground can be quickly made up.

The important thing is not to get negative and despondent about what or what not is being achieved.

Ten Minutes and Transformation

I was caused to reflect upon times almost a decade ago now; being at AA meetings and listening to others speak. They’d all get their ten minutes and I was always astounded as to how much of the story people would pack into that time period. I’d hear how it was for them, what happened, and how it was now i.e. back then.

I’d hear the torment of a soul at chaotic unrest who was then morphed by God’s grace into a capable, committed, honest and hard-working individual determined never to drink again. But, I’d also hear something else.

I’d hear a story that moved my heart and endeared me to the individual and to the miraculous nature of the ‘recovered’ life itself. In that short ten minutes my life changed; I was edified, restored and renewed through the hearing of another’s beautiful truth.

Ten minutes is all it takes to transform people. Ten minutes and a miracle occurs.

Ten Minutes and the Task

The key is staying on or getting back to task. It’s simply a matter of re-focussing on the issues of the talk at the time. A fantastic number of things can be affected when we deal urgently with that pithy ten minute period of time. This is a positive franticness.

My personal model for this sort of thing is Jason Bourne, the movie character from the Bourne trilogy. He has to work hard to extract himself from tenuous situations. We can think quickly and achieve lots too!

Ten Minutes and Trust

A lot of the time our ten minute periods hold us to ransom and we think not much of them. We don’t take advantage of the possibilities that lay forth.

When we place our faith in the possibilities of what can be achieved we can stand amazed as we reflect on the other side of it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We hardly ever realise just how much we can achieve—what we can say and do—in ten solitary minutes.

© 2010 S. J. Wickham.

No comments:

Post a Comment